So, we saw this happy news today: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/texas-abortion-unconstitutional_n_4171087.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009 and while we’re relieved that a Texas ban on abortions was overruled, we’re still pretty disgusted that it was even up for debate in the first place.
We know, we know, us and everyone else. But these things keep happening, so obviously we need to keep talking about it. We just wish the GOP would stop trying to distract us from the real issues with these shows of nonsense. Here’s the thing: conservatives don’t get to insist that the government back off on gun control and drilling in natural reserves and healthcare and property and taxes and then all of a sudden demand that the government take over a woman’s body.
And for those conservatives who ride the high “Christian” horse, we’re Christians, too. We’re not saying everyone should use abortion as birth control (or that anyone should do that), but we are saying decisions are tough, and we don’t get to decide for anyone else.
We also find it interesting that the GOP so often opposes sex education, access to free or low-cost contraceptives, abortion, and welfare, but instead continually votes to keep the socioeconomically low low. So, conservatives would prefer to not educate women, not assist with contraceptives, force women to keep pregnancies they can’t afford to carry through (or are physically harmed or emotionally destroyed by), but also not provide assistance once the baby is born. Anti-abortion laws are just one more piece of social stratification in the US. The GOP would like you to pick yourself up by your bootstraps. Except, oh, they’re all out of bootstraps.
So, conservatives, if you wont stop slut-shaming us for considering all of our options, you’re just going to have to stay away from our vaginas. And here are our top ten reasons why.
1. Because if we let the government into our vaginas, they won’t bring contraception or let us have an abortion, and they definitely won’t pay child support. Just bring a condom next time, government.
2. Because our bodies are temples and we don’t like it when kids come to church.
3. Because if conservatives won’t let us into their gun cabinets, we won’t let them into our baby makers.
4. Because when less than 20% of Congresspeople are women, they don’t get a say in what we do with our bodies.
5. Because even if you think we should make religious laws, God gave us the capability of choice. Including who to vote for.
6. Because we already fought this fight. But that’s okay. We’ll fight it again.
7. Because my vagina is mine, and no gets to be in there unless I say so.
8. Because my uterus might be empty, but my head isn’t, so I get to make my own choices.
9. Because, as we’ve seen on bumper stickers, God isn’t spelled “GOP” and separation of church and state means the separation of our legs isn’t up for debate on the Senate floor. Though we could maybe be talked into separating them there…
10. Because, even if they’re illegal, women will find ways to have abortions anyway. Just like we have for centuries.
And if you’re interested in all the scary ways women had abortions before they were legal (or before doctors performed them like they do today), we have a blog about that coming very soon.